Tuesday, January 22, 2008

MEMOIR WORKSHOP

Tomorrow I am giving a "memoir" workshop at Gilda's Club in Royal Oak. I have spent the better part of the afternoon preparing for the class.


I feel it's not for me to critique or give advice to my students, but to be an enthuiastic cheerleader. We all have a story to tell. A lesson learned. A funny encounter. An "A-ha!" moment. We just need to find a pen and get it on paper. It seems to me that is the hardest part of writing a memoir--making time to do it.


Before my grandmother passed away, she wrote an 88 page autobiography in her own handwriting. I don't think any of us that read it looked for spelling or grammar errors. We looked for meaning in her life, and it was there. Everywhere. Everyday. I am so glad she found the time and energy to leave her children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren such a loving memory. We shall never forget her.


So, I'm bringing Grandma's work, a couple of my favorite published memoirs and my own "Rock Star Mommy" to share. I've got a few exercises to get the creative juices flowing and a big megaphone to cheer my students on!