Saturday, September 29, 2007

DANCING ON THE CEILING

I went back to my high school today. It's been 29 years since I graduated.

In high school I was a Vikette. The Vikettes were/are a drill team. We did dance routines at halftime for football and basketball games and marched in parades on Thanksgiving and Memorial Day.

I don't really have a lot of fond memories of being a Vikette. You know that Motorhead song "The Chase is better than the Catch?" It was like that. When I was 15 it was really important to be able to "say" I was a Vikette but I hated all the effort required once I was one. We used to start practice at 7:00 AM or something.

Still, I was intrigued by the idea of donning dance shoes and performing at a high school football game. For old times sake, I went to a practice at Hazel Park High School today. We rehearsed in the gym. Everything looked pretty much the same as it did when I went there in the 1970s. And I realized I still really don't enjoy learning dance routines.

When I got home I showed Willie what I learned and he thought it was really good. He told Dylan "Come and see what Mom can do!" Dylan didn't come so I went to him and showed him. He didn't seem to enjoy it very much but he promised me he would come to my football game. My parents will be there too.

At the end of the practice I talked to Mrs. C. Can you believe my advisor is still around ? She looks the same too. I told her I would help her with fundraising and design a website for the Vikettes. She was really excited and so was I. It felt good to go back to high school after all.