Wednesday, November 25, 2009

LOTS TO BE THANKFUL FOR IN 2009


I have lots to be thankful for this year. 2009 has been a good. For the first time since I was 14-years-old I didn't have to go to work everyday. It's not that I didn't work (I designed lots of websites), I just didn't have to drive somewhere and sit in a gray cube.

I liked working for myself so much I applied to Bizdom U and was accepted. I was thrilled. I love school and my teachers. I am as excited to go to school every day as I was in first grade only Dan Izzo doesn't exactly talk like Sister Loretta Marie.

On the family front, my boys continue to amaze me. They are BOTH straight A students. Willie surprised us all and wrote a music composition that was performed last spring by his middle school honors band. This year he is gobbling up High School. (That's a flyer I designed for ROHS Jazz Band.) Meanwhile Dylan was invited to a soccer camp at Washington U in St. Louis last summer. We love to watch him play defense. As for John, his office landed some big jobs and are so lucky to be one of the few architecture firms in the area with work. As a family we went to Alaska this year. It was the 49th state we've traveled to together--the 4 of us. (We just have Hawaii left.)

The Mydols are still going strong. We just finished recording a CD with the new lineup and it rocks! We also were lucky enough to be asked to be on Gene Simmons Family Jewels and got to hang out with the rock legend for 5 days in Detroit, including backstage at the KISS concert at Cobo Hall. (The show will air in the spring.)

And of course we are so grateful to feel the love of God. Thank you Fr. Ken for turning me on to actually listening in church! Because of it my friend Teri and I were motivated to get 100s of backpacks donated to the South Oakland Citizens for the Homeless. (We couldn't have done it without the help of Moosejaw and What Crepe?) Because of that, I got a mention in Sandra Dalka-Prysby's new book on miracles! (I love Sandy's writing.) And last weekend my family helped serve 223 turkey dinners to the homeless at the Most Holy Trinity grade school with the most awesome Murphy family. (They do it every year.) My son Willie noted that 90% of the people said thank you--making them more polite than most people we run into day in and day out.


May God continue to bless us with so much to be thankful for. Oh and thank you to Jesuit Monks at Manresa who pray for all the intentions in the little jar in the grotto.