Monday, February 15, 2010

"WHY" NOT "WHAT"

Today at school we learned about business culture and how important it is.

And we learned learned that it is not "what" you do but "why" you do it. My instructor told the story of St. Theresa of Avila. It goes like this:

Saint Teresa of Avila, the 16th century Spanish mystic, saw an angel rushing towards her, carrying a torch and a bucket of water. “Where are you going with that torch and bucket?” she asked. "What will you do with them?”

“With the water,” the angel answered, “I will put out the fires of hell, and with the fire I will burn down the mansions of heaven; then we will see who really loves God.”

I wrote down the story word for word. I loved it. In many ways it is how I have lived my life--never worried about failing nor worried about succeeding--doing things only for love.

I spent my life in the company of the people I love whilst doing the things that I love. The Lord has been really really good to me--if the mansions in heaven are burnt down it doesn't matter.