Saturday, December 5, 2009

CHANGING MY HABITS

If I want to start my own company I have got to be a good leader. For the past several weeks I have been in leadership training. As a result, I am learning a lot about myself and doing a lot of self examination. Last we looked at habits and explored different mindsets. We were asked if there was a habit we needed to apply to change our mindset.

For me, I need to get in the habit of responding to my email quicker--and honestly and directly. I need to STOP this weird avoidance behavior I have developed. Uh, lately I am afraid to open certain email. I'll flag it and not open it for days out of fear. I recognize certain senders and I JUST know they are going to ask me for something--small favors. And it's totally fair for them to think I can help them out. I have always done so in the past. But these days--I really need to focus on my own business. I feel like if I open certain email I'll be trapped into working on something I don't have the time for out of guilt.

BUT, I realize this is not fair. People are waiting for me and if I can no longer help, I need to be direct and tell them--so they can move on. And I need to realize they'll understand. So, I am going to make it a habit to address email as it comes AND I am going to be more direct with friends about what I can do and what I can't. I think people will respect me a lot more if I respond quickly and forthright.